Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Review: The Duff by Kody Keplinger


From Goodreads:

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.


My Review:
I absolutely LOVED The Duff. All of the characters are enjoyable and Bianca had such an incredibly enchanting voice. I dreaded the moments that I had to put The Duff down because I was so immersed in this book.

I loved Bianca. She was not afraid to say what was on her mind. Her sarcasm and cynicism made her even more likable. When Wesley appoints her with the name, the Duff, it really hits her how inadequate she feels next to her friends. I know that probably all girls out there have felt like a Duff at one point or another, and can really understand Bianca's feelings. Her situation at home is so heartbreaking and I really felt for what she had to go through. She escapes her problems by getting with Wesley, which just makes her feel guilty. She eventually comes to really appreciate Wesley and finds that they both have problems. I loved the bantering between Bianca and him! The sparks fly whenever they have it out with each other and it is incredibly entertaining. They could be fighting and arguing one minute, then hot and heavy the next.

Wesley was definitely swoon worthy. Even with his negative comments to Bianca, he manages to make them sound flirtatious, not insulting. When Bianca really got to know him, she found out that he wasn't so bad after all and really started falling for him. While Wesley sure had his share of faults, he really was a great guy for Bianca. The letters that he sent her towards the end gave me butterflies and made me fall even more in love with him.

The Duff was such an incredibly amazing story and I enjoyed ever moment of it. This will be one of the few books that I will re-read in the future, it is that good. The end of The Duff was wrapped up nicely, but I wish there was more in store for Bianca and Wesley. They are so real and relatable. If you haven't already gotten a copy of The Duff yet, I suggest putting it on your wishlist. You won't be disappointed!

My Rating:

5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. This book is on my reading list. I might bump it up, but I need to finish all the books I have now. I did start reading it at the library and was like "Wow, this is interesting." I wish I had the money to get right then and there, I was having a moral dilemma about whether to buy the thing or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a post about The DUFF all the time in my blog feed these days. I'm curious and want to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin