Sunday, August 22, 2010

Review: Portal by Imogen Rose


Received From Author For Review

From Goodreads:

Come Find Me Two Years Ago...

Six words that propelled ice hockey playing tomboy, Arizona, into an alternate dimension.

She suddenly found herself in the past. In one moment she went from being an ice hockey playing teenager in New Jersey to a glamorous cheerleader in California. She found herself transported from a happy life with her dad, Dillard, to a new, strange one living with her mother whom she hates. Apparently it's a life she's always lived in.

Everyone knows her as Arizona Darley, but she isn't. She is Arizona Stevens.

As she struggles to find answers she is certain of one thing- that her mother Olivia, a brilliant physicist, is somehow responsible. .

PORTAL is the story of the repercussions of Olivia Darley's attempt at creating a perfect world for herself and her children. Arizona's quest for answers threatens to undermine the seemingly perfect world that her mother has so carefully constructed.

PORTAL is the first book of the Portal Chronicles. Fans of time travel, romance, and the supernatural will enjoy Arizona's quest for answers.

My Review:
I was overjoyed when Imogen Rose sent Portal to me for review, as i've had my eye on it for awhile! This book was everything that I expected it to be, and more. A mysterious, enjoyable read with a relatable main character and time-travel and romance.

I could really connect with Arizona. She finds herself in an alternate world with a whole new life and feels frustrated and confused. I felt like I would do the same things Arizona did, had I found myself in her situation. She feels a lot of anger towards her mother, once she finds out that she is behind everything. She is completely different person in the alternate world and wants to go back to the way she was before.

Olivia, Arizona's mother, was a very selfish character and only thought about herself throughout the whole story. I was glad that Ms. Rose had chapters told through Olivia's perspective, as I got to really understand her motives, though I didn't like them. All she is concerned about is being with the love of her life, Rupert, and the heck with the consequences. She thinks her new life will be perfect, with the love of her life beside her and her children brought with her to her new life. What she doesn't expect is Arizona to remember her past life.

The supporting characters were all enjoyable and I found myself supporting all of them. My favorite character would have to be Kellan, as he is such a darling to Arizona. Though they start off a little rocky in the beginning, he and Arizona come to truly love each other.

I really loved Imogen Rose's unique story and I can't wait to read the second book in the series, Equilibrium. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a new take on YA fantasy romance!

My Rating:

5 Stars


3 comments:

  1. Great review! This is the first time I have heard about this book. The cover is interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I read about this book....probably because the cover doesn't catch me eye. But it does sounds unique, and I've always been interested in alternative dimensions and stuff like that. You seem like you enjoyed it a lot so I'll give it an opportunity!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin