Friday, August 13, 2010

Review: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain


From Goodreads:
Grace Divine—daughter of the local pastor—always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared and her brother Jude came home covered in his own blood.

Now that Daniel's returned, Grace must choose between her growing attraction to him and her loyalty to her brother.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, she learns the truth about that mysterious night and how to save the ones she loves, but it might cost her the one thing she cherishes most: her soul.


My Review:
I liked this book, I really did. I just didn't love it. At the beginning of the book, I thought that it was going to be a story that I loved but I found the plot to be very predictable.

The Negatives:
It was very frustrating how long it took Grace to figure out Daniel's secret when the clues were there from the beginning. Grace seems like a very smart girl so it just didn't seem very believable when Daniel's actions and words just rolled right over her head. I also didn't like how at first, she stood up for Daniel and then Jude says a few petty things about Daniel and all of the sudden, she has doubts about all that Daniel has told her. I didn't like Jude at all. I found him to be petty and annoying. He seemed all perfect and Mr. Goody Two Shoes in the beginning, but when Daniel comes on the scene he turns violent and angry. The reason for his personality change is revealed toward the end but that still doesn't mean I have to like him.

The Positives:
I loved Ms. Despain's original take on werewolves and the history behind Daniel's family. I found Grace's voice to be refreshing and I enjoyed reading through her point of view. Though she could be kind of dense at sometimes, she wasn't annoying like certain main characters are in YA. I really loved Daniel. He was a bit of a bad boy but he was a sweetheart when it came to Grace. He said some things that made me swoon! When he and Grace were together, their chemistry sizzled! Grace's father was one of the few fathers in YA that I didn't find annoying. He really wants to help others who are in need of guidance and he was a saint to Daniel. Even though I didn't like some aspects of the story, I found myself not wanting to put down this book until the very last page.

Overall, I found this book to be a good read. I felt that the positives outweighed the negatives. The end of the story left me hanging so I am really looking forward to the sequel of this book, The Lost Saint.

My Rating:

4 Stars

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it, this book has been in my TBR pile for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is similar to how I felt about this book (though I ended up giving it only 2 stars). I just never really got into Grace as a character, and I spent the entire time wanting to knock her over the head for being so dense.

    I'll probably pick up the sequel anyway, because I'm interested to see what happens next, but it will be a library check out, not a buy.

    Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I understand the frustration with Grace! It just didn't add up, how she was supposed to be smart but everything obvious went right over her!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin