Sunday, September 12, 2010

Review: Awakened by Ednah Walters


Awakened by Ednah Walters
September 2, 2010

Received from Author for Honest Review
From Goodreads:
Most teens turn sixteen and get the license to drive, Lil Falcon gets the license to kill demons, but no one told her she is not supposed to fall in love with one.

Orphaned as a child and raised by an eccentric grandfather, Lil is concerned with surviving high school and is unaware she's a Guardian—a being with super powers charged with killing demons and protecting humanity. But when she meets Bran, a mysterious boy with amazing abilities, his psi energy unlocks her latent powers.

But Bran has a secret that can destroy their growing relationship. He's part demon. But in her heart, Lil knows Bran is not evil. So when her grandfather is kidnapped by a powerful nature-bender and Bran is the only one who knows where he's being kept, Lil convinces the other Guardians to trust him, not knowing her grandfather is just the bait. And the truth that she discovers in the demonic enclave may just destroy everything she believes in, unless she makes the right choice—love and sacrifice.


My Review:

Awakened was an amazing book packed with action, romance, and fantasy! Walters introduces many new concepts and paranormal beings that are all unique. I enjoyed myself while reading Awakened and am so glad that I got a chance to read it!

Lil was a wonderful main character and someone I could really understand. After her meeting with Bran, her emotions are thrown all over the place and cause a huge electrical storm that reveals that she is a Guardian, and her grandfather has been hiding it from her. The revelation that she is a Guardian does not sit well with Lil, but after a terrifying meeting with demons, she realizes that she must embrace her powers and train. What follows are many twists and shocking discoveries that make the story zoom by. I loved Lil's personality and her interactions with Bran, an intriguing guy who has many secrets. She experiences love for the first time with Bran and it was fascinating to read how she handled it. She finds out that she is also very special and this furthers the plot of the story. Lil grew to be an even better person and she embraced who she was.

Bran was such an admirable match for Lil and I enjoyed learning more about his background and family. I really felt for what he had to go through growing up and throughout the story. Lil really helps him get through the hard times and takes away his loneliness. At first, Bran was very standoffish and closed off from the world, but throughout the story he grew and could open up more, especially when he was around Lil. One of my favorite scenes in Awakened was definitely the first date! I was shocked at what he revealed to Lil and loved him even more! I also greatly enjoyed learning about his background and who he was related to. It makes for many conflicts and bumps in Awakened.

All of the side characters were wonderful, especially the other Guardian trainees! Sykes was such a flirt and really smooth with the ladies. I liked him the best out of all of the trainees. He was sweet to Lil and I could've seen them together had Bran not been in the picture. Kim was a bit annoying, though some of it wears off towards the end of the book. Izzy was very reasonable and didn't give Lil the hard time that Kim gave her. Remy was the leader of the group and a real sweetie. The trainees worked really well together and I adored their interactions with one another.

The plot in Awakened was fast and unpredictable. I never knew what was coming and was always on my toes! I loved leaning about the Guardian history and what powers they had. I savored the book and was really sad when it came to an end. I was excited to see that Ednah Walters was writing book two in the Guardian series and can't wait to see what she has in store for the sequel!

Awakened was an awesome story and I am so glad that the author gave me an opportunity to read and review it! I loved every moment of the story and will be on the look out for the release date of the sequel. Pick this book up if you are looking for a thrilling fantasy romance! You'll be glad you took the chance!

My Rating:

5 Stars

3 comments:

  1. Oh this one sounds good! nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds cool, the more I hear about this book the more I like it.

    :D

    Lovely review.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been excited to read this, and this review only made it stronger.
    Angels are the new it thing sure, but I really don't mind. Especially with books like this! lol.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin