Friday, September 3, 2010

Review: Firelight by Sophie Jordan


September 7, 2010

Received from Publisher for Review

From Goodreads:
With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki—the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda’s rebelliousness leads her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is Will, whose family hunts her kind. Jacinda can’t resist getting closer to him, even though she knows she’s risking not only her life but the draki’s most closely guarded secret.

My Review:
My first thoughts after finishing Firelight: WOW. This book is so incredible and took me on the ride of my life! Firelight started off with a bang and never once slowed down! It was funny, heartbreaking, mysterious, and unpredictable. Firelight kept me on my toes and wouldn't let me go until the very last page.

Jacinda is a wonderful heroine! She is prized among her clan for her rare ability and hates it. When something goes horribly wrong, she and her family must escape her clan and venture into the human world. This creates many problems for her and conflict with her family. I was shocked at how completely selfless Jacinda was. She will do whatever she can to protect her family, even at her own expense. She sacrifices so much for her mother and sister's happiness. I really felt like Jacinda was the adult in her family, what with her terrible mother and annoying sister. Will is the only light that burns bright in Jacinda's life after she escapes her clan. He awakens her draki and makes her feel alive! Their romance is burning hot and the sparks between them never fizzle out.

Will is incredible! He is a major hunk and really down to earth but hides himself from the world. He doesn't let anyone get too close to him. That is, until Jacinda comes along. He feels so protective of Jacinda and can't help falling in love with her. Will and Jacinda's love is forbidden and makes it that much more exciting! I really loved the small glimpses that I got into Will's life at home. It was fascinating and i'm hoping for more background on WIll in his family is Firelight's sequel.

The only characters that I had a problem with were Jacinda's mother and sister. I'm pretty sure this is intentional, as it really shows how truly amazing Jacinda is to put up with them. They were completely selfish and considered nothing of Jacinda's feelings. All they were concerned about were themselves and fitting into the human world. They were so frustrating and really made me wish that I could be Jacinda for a minute, just so I could get the chance to give them a piece of my mind!

Firelight is a real page-turner and kept me up way past my bed time. The YA genre really needed a great dragon story, and Firelight sure gives it one! The ending in Firelight leaves off at a critical point and left me in desperate need of the sequel. Run to your nearest bookstore or library when Firelight releases! You won't want to miss out on this awesome book!

My Rating:

5 Stars

9 comments:

  1. Got it, run to pick it up! Thanks for the review. This is a book I wasn't initially excited about but I keep hearing good things and now I want it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I'm going to pick up this book regardless, because the cover & book will just look GORGEOUS on my bookcase. :P Sounds good though. I'm interested to see how a dragon story turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! I glad you liked this one. I've been waiting for it to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not my usual kind of book but it sounds very interesting. I might have to branch out and give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never read a dragon book and am surprised to hear this is a romance. My favorite romance author is Lavyrle Spencer.

    Hopping over from the book blogger hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great review, the book sounds amazing. I love strong female heroines and Jacinda looks to be just that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everytime I read a review on this book! The more and more I want to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I'm really looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin