Sunday, September 26, 2010

Review: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh


From Goodreads:
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it.

My Review:
Nevermore is a one-of-a-kind, extraordinary book. The writing was flawless! The details are exquisite and the characters are all extremely likable! Nevermore was so hard to put down once I got sucked into the story and I am in dire need of a sequel now!!

Isobel was a breath of fresh air! She is such a lovable character and very relatable, even with her being a cheerleader. She was intelligent and acted nothing like I would have imagined a cheerleader to act, which was very refreshing. At the beginning of the story, she still has much to learn and as she spends more time with Varen, she grows to be an amazing person and I truly loved reading about her adventures. She wasn't sure of Varen at first, and thinks he's a weirdo from all the rumors that she's heard, but as they work together, she starts to understand why Varen is the way he is and falls hard for him. They are complete opposites, but this just makes their relationship that much more amazing and sizzling!

Varen, Varen, Varen. I loved Varen! He is a very conflicted character and I really felt for him. Even though he gives Isobel the cold shoulder at first, he comes to be a sweetie towards her and he can't help but let her into his life, even when the consequences are dire. There were times where I just wanted to dive into the world of Nevermore and give him a great, big hug! Varen goes through so much in Nevermore and Isobel is there with him every step of the way. Although he didn't want her mixed up in his conflicts, Isobel is there through everything and he enjoys her company, even though he probably wouldn't admit it at first. There was so much mystery surrounding Varen! I was left guessing until the very end, and I still don't have all the answers!

The paranormal elements and plot in this story were utterly unique! The dark paranormal elements, thrown together with the mystery of Edgar Allen Poe, and a mysterious dream world. I loved reading all about the paranormal elements and I was very intrigued with what I learned. I was a bit frustrated that the end wasn't wrapped up with a nice red (or purple) bow and I will go crazy until I can get my hands on a sequel (which there should be with that ending)! I was hoping for some closure, but I guess Kelly Creagh did give us just enough to leave us wanting more!

I can't get over how awesome Nevermore! There is just enough romance, paranormal, and mystery to keep me reading. The plot was completely unique and I was kept guessing, even at the very last page. The ending of the story throws new questions out there and left me wanting the sequel, ASAP! I will keep my eyes peeled for word on the next installment in Isobel and Varen's story! I would recommend this to anyone who loves a great YA paranormal romance, with a bit of mystery thrown in!

My Rating:

5 Stars


4 comments:

  1. Oh I want to read this so bad! Glad it received a good review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little wary of this one at first, not being big on Poe, but I've heard so many people say they love it! I really enjoyed reading your review - your enthusiasm comes through so clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered this one, can't wait to read it, love Poe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you for the review. It always help me make my book buying decisions when I know more about the books.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin