Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Fine Art of Truth or Dare Tour: Music Post from Melissa Jensen

Author of The Fine Art of Truth or Dare, Melissa Jensen is here to talk about her book and music.

I’m happy to talk about music. I like to talk about music. In fact…please Please PLEASE let me talk about music now and tomorrow and next week when someone wants me to actually be talking about the Federal Reserve or the Eagles or ponies.

After coffee, my fave part of the morning is putting together a workout playlist on my iPhone. I lived for mix tapes when I was a teenager—when they were real, true, casette tapes. Love iTunes. Love the fact that mix tapes are now playlists and cds. Hint hint to anyone who thinks it might be fun to send the nice, music-junkie author a mix tape-cd. Hint, part deux. I don’t much care for dubstep or gooey croony stuff. Just about anything else makes me happy.

Anyway.

I always write music into my stories. Sometimes it’s not particularly good music; usually it’s recognizable. In FALLING IN LOVE WITH ENGLISH BOYS, Cat headed her blog entries with topical songs (mostly recognizable, some not very good). In TRUTH OR DARE, Ella and her friends like to hang out at Chloe’s, a combo Greek restaurant, karaoke bar, and shoe repair shop. I’m not a karaoke afficionado, but I am a huge fan of good—or just interesting—covers. Big fan of Top Ten lists, too. So I thought what I would do here is give you two playlists: one comprised of some of my fave covers and one comprised of the songs I keep coming back to recently for my morning playlists. They don’t necessarily go together, but they make me go faster. And yes, in case you were wondering, you really can get a good pounding, heart-pumping pace going to collegiate acappella. Really.


My Top Ten Fave Covers (this week, anyway):
-Femme Fatale by Girl in a Coma (orig. the Velvet Underground)
-Heart of Glass by the Puppini Sisters (orig. Blondie)
-Hey Ya by Mat Weddle (orig. Outkast)
-I Can’t Make You Love Me by Bon Iver (orig. Bonnie Raitt)
-Low by Tommy Knox (orig. Flo-Rida)
-Personal Jesus by Johnny Cash (orig. Depeche Mode)
-Redemption Song by Joe Strummer (orig. Bob Marley and the Wailers)
-Take On Me by A.C. Newman (orig. A-ha)
-Throw Your Arms Around Me by Eddie Vedder (orig. Hunters &     Collectors)
-Valerie by Amy Winehouse (orig. the Zutones)

I’m going to move on. Before I change my mind. See, there’s this other version of…

Okay.

 Top Ten Wake Up and Move Your Butt Songs (this week, anyway)
-All the Above by On the Rocks…or Maino, depending on my mood
-Club Can’t Handle Me by Flo-Rida…or the Dartmouth Aires
-Don’t Look Back into the Sun by the Libertines
-I Wanna Be Sedated by the Ramones
-Kick Drum Heart by the Avett Brothers
-Lolli Lolli by Three 6 Mafia
-Should I Stay or Should I Go by the Clash
-Somewhere in Brooklyn by Bruno Mars
-Stuck Like Glue by Sugarland
-Sydney (I’ll Come Running) by Brett Dennen

Wow. That is one decidedly crazy list. Who cares? It lives only in my iPod. And just try sit still while listening to any of the ten. Dare you.

Teehee! It was great having you on the blog, Melissa!! =) Thanks for stopping by.

Ella is nearly invisible at the Willing School, and that's just fine by her. She's got her friends - the fabulous Frankie and their sweet cohort Sadie. She's got her art - and her idol, the unappreciated 19th-century painter Edward Willing. Still, it's hard being a nobody and having a crush on the biggest somebody in the school: Alex Bainbridge. Especially when he is your French tutor, and lessons have started becoming, well, certainly more interesting than French ever has been before. But can the invisible girl actually end up with a happily ever after with the golden boy, when no one even knows they're dating? And is Ella going to dare to be that girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin