Sunday, February 5, 2012

Review: In Too Deep by Amanda Grace

February 8, 2012
Flux

Synopsis:
I never meant for anyone to get hurt. All I wanted to do that night was make a play for Carter Wellesley. His heartless rejection was mortifying, but people got the wrong idea when they saw me leaving his bedroom, crying. That’s how rumors of rape started.
Now girls at school are pouring out their sympathy to me. Guys too. But not everyone’s on my side. The school has become a war zone and the threats are getting scary. What began as poetic justice has morphed into something bigger—forcing me to make a terrible choice.


My Review:
IN TOO DEEP is a powerful YA that explores the danger of rumors and their lasting affects on people. Grace's novel deeply affected me, and while there were some flaws, they were easy to overlook. I look forward to more from Grace.

Sam isn't perfect. In fact, she is far from that. She is completely humiliated by Carter, and feels broken. But she didn't mean for the false rumors to spread about her being assaulted by Carter. Sure, he is a complete jerk who has no respect for women, but rape is pretty serious. She is so torn about what to do about it, and it only gets worse when Carter's friends begin threatening her.

I felt really bad for Sam. She has such a tough life, and just when things are starting to look up, the false rumors pop up and she fears their consequences. She wants so badly to correct them, but she is already "in too deep" and can't seem to get herself out. I was rooting for things to start going her way. While I did find her annoying at times, I could understand where she was coming from

The pacing of IN TOO DEEP was a bit of a problem for me. I felt like things happened way too fast considering. I don't want to give too much away, but the whole Nick and Sam thing was really weird. They have known each other for so long with nothing, and then it happens??? It just didn't add up for me.

While IN TOO DEEP did have its problems, I enjoyed myself overall. Grace has created a fascinating and relatable storyline that readers out there are sure to gobble up.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin