Friday, January 13, 2012

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

January 2, 2012
Poppy

Synopsis:
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.


My Review:
When I first heard about this one, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it! The title is so cute and the cover is gorgeous, so I was hoping the book would be just as good. I am happy to say that I was more than pleased, though I had a few minor annoyances. I cannot believe how believable Smith made a romance that developed over the course of 24 hours! The writing style is equally as engaging and it drew me in with in the first few sentences. Smith has made me a fan for sure!

Hadley isn't very happy. Her dad walked out on her mom, probably because of another woman who he is marrying, and she has to attend the wedding all the way in Oxford! She feels betrayed by her dad and won't forgive the pain he caused her mother. It gets even worse for Hadley when she misses her flight to Oxford and has to catch a later one! But when she meets Oliver, a boy with his own set of problems, in the airport, they have an instant connection that blossoms over the course of their time together.

My heart went out to Hadley. If my father did such a thing to my mother, I would feel the exact same way she did. I don't even think that I would have it in me to attend the wedding! I hoped for a happily ever after for Hadley, and I was so happy that she had Oliver. I was extremely nervous about how it would all work out, though! I knew they would have to part ways, but they were meant to be! They had to somehow find each other before the last page or I just wouldn't be satisfied.

Oliver was such a mystery, but I fell for him just as easily as Hadley did. His quirky personality lights up the pages and I couldn't get enough of him! I want my own Oliver! He miraculously got Hadley to open up and consider her relationship with her father. I think Smith has given me yet another book boyfriend; the first one of 2012 for me!

The thing that just grated on me wrong was how easily Hadley repaired the relationship with her father. I'm sorry, but after a year of pain and feelings of betrayal and anger, it wouldn't happen within hours. Somehow the falling in love within 24 hours is more believable to me than her newly mended relationship with her father.

I love, love, love THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. It is a story about more than love, but also family and forgiveness that will leave you feeling satisfied.

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. That's a fair gripe to have had. Among all the mixed reviews this book has been receiving, I'll admit I'm a bit apprehensive about reading it. BUT reviews like yours gives me faith that THIS (points to above) will be the kinds of words I'll be saying and thinking after I've read the book myself. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. * THESE (points to above) will be the kinds...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin