Thursday, November 17, 2011

Review: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

October 4, 2011
HarperTeen

Synopsis:
Their love was meant to be.
When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRĂ­s.
But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.


My Review:
I am no fan of insta-love, as you all probably know from the majority of my reviews. The synopsis in CARRIER OF THE MARK hints at such love, but I stayed optimistic going in. I was really enjoying myself until about 100 pages in when the storyline plummets.

Sure, the lore about the Carrier of the Mark is interesting, but the insta-love did me in. And when I say insta-love, I mean BOOM--one second they are just staring, making googly eyes at each other, then the next they confess their love. I am sorry, but no matter what kind of chemistry you may be feeling around a person, a declaration of love is not going to happen without so much as a few weeks of getting to know each other. Yes, they did meet a few weeks prior, but they never actually had a conversation with each other!

I truly liked who Megan was, and thought she was a strong and courageous girl for the first 100 pages. But when she confesses to Adam so suddenly, I lost all respect for her. Things just went downhill from there. She becomes a gooey mess after spending so much time with Adam and finding out about her powers. I really, really wish I could have understood where she was coming from, but sadly I didn't.

Adam was awesome in the beginning! I was so curious as to why he acted so strange around Megan, and why he had to steer clear of her.  But then he goes and ruins all that has been building up between them by telling Megan about how drawn he is to her; how he can't stand to be out of her sight. I was so upset about this that it took all of my mental strength to continue on.

I feel awful that I didn't like CARRIER OF THE MARK. I know quite a few people who just adored it, so I was hoping I would feel the same way. Maybe if it wasn't for my aversion to insta-love, I could have enjoyed it much more. The lore was truly fascinating and I gobbled up everything about it. I wish that would have been the real focus of the story, rather than the" love story" between Megan and Adam. If I were you, I would pick this one up at the library instead of purchasing it. If you love it, great! And if you don't, at least you didn't lose your money.

My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. Oh, no! The dreaded insta-love! That's definitely a turn-off for me, too. =/ It's a bummer that Carrier of the Mark wasn't as good as it was hyped up to be! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Bailey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan of insta-love, either, which is why I've been holding off on reading this one. I'll think I'll take your suggestion and check it out at the library first :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had been trying to make time to read this one and feeling guilty that I haven't been able to squeeze it in. Thanks for this review, now I won't stress so much about it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin