Saturday, September 24, 2011

Review: My Beating Teenage Heart by C.K. Kelly Martin


September 27, 2011
Random House

Synopsis:
Ashlyn Baptiste is falling. One moment she was nothing—no memories, no self—and then suddenly, she's plummeting through a sea of stars. Is she in a coma? She doesn't remember dying, and she has no memories of the life she left behind. All she knows is that she's trapped in a consciousness without a body and she's spending every moment watching a stranger.
Breckon Cody's on the edge. He's being ripped apart by grief so intense it literally hurts to breath. On the surface, Breckon is trying to hold it together for his family and his girlfriend, but underneath he's barely hanging on.
Even though she didn't know him in life, Ashlyn sees Breckon's pain, and she's determined to find a way help him. As her own distressing memories emerge from the darkness, she struggles to communicate with the boy who can't see her, but whose life is suddenly intertwined with hers. In alternating voices of the main characters, My Beating Teenage Heart paints a devastatingly vivid picture of both the heartbreak and the promise of teenage life—a life Ashlyn would do anything to recover and Breckon seems desperate to destroy—and will appeal to fans of Sarah Dessen, John Green, and David Levithan.


My Review:
MY BEATING TEENAGE HEART is a lyrical and highly emotional novel that I want to recommend to everyone! Seriously, the writing is absolutely gorgeous and characters each have their own heart-breaking stories that will bring tears to your eyes. The best part about the book is that you never know what to expect, what secrets will be revealed.

Ashlyn is one of the most complex characters that I have ever read about. She is an absolute mystery from the beginning, and it takes awhile to grasp what she is and why she is given full viewing access to Breckon's life, but hasn't an idea of her own. I had no idea what would come next, and what was happening with her. I was compelled to keep reading and discover Ashlyn's past.

Breckon's life was perfect until something horrible happens that leaves him a shell of the person he once was. My heart broke for everything that he had to go through, and what the emotions he experienced. I loved how real Martin made him. I have read a few books with a guy's perspective in them, but Breckon's felt the most realistic to me.

MY BEATING TEENAGE HEART is a YA novel that will slowly weave its way into your heart. It is definitely one of my favorite books that I have read this year.

My Rating:

8 comments:

  1. Hadn't heard of this one but it sounds amazing. I love a good complex and interesting character like Ashlyn. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely remember to check this book out when I'm in the mood for an emotional or heart-breaking read. The book sounds very good! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds so powerful! My Beating Teenage Heart totally went under my radar; thanks for bringing it to my attention! I love books that can evoke strong emotion, and Ashlyn's story sounds beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read a book by C.K. Kelly Martin but I've heard good things about her books. I think I'll start with this one since I'm curious to know why Ashlyn can see into Breckon's life. The characters sound tremendous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard about this book before, but it surely does look good! They stories seem to be so deep and heart-clenching that I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, where have I been because I hadn't heard of this book before!

    From you little description of him, I can tell that Breckon would make my heart swell. Adding this on to the wishlist asap! Thanks for the review, B!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds SO good! And your review has me convinced that I MUST read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, this sounds like a book that will really give me a run for my money! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin