Thursday, August 25, 2011

Review: Two-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt

June 26, 2007 
Simon Pulse

Synopsis:
There are two sides to every breakup.

This is Jordan and Courtney, totally in love. Sure, they were an unlikely high school couple. But they clicked; it worked. They're even going to the same college, and driving cross-country together for orientation.

Then Jordan dumps Courtney -- for a girl he met on the Internet.

It's too late to change plans, so the road trip is on. Courtney's heartbroken, but figures she can tough it out for a few days. La la la -- this is Courtney pretending not to care.

But in a strange twist, Jordan cares. A lot.

Turns out, he's got a secret or two that he's not telling Courtney. And it has everything to do with why they broke up, why they can't get back together, and how, in spite of it all, this couple is destined for each other.


My Review:
Two-Way Street is a dramatic and intelligently written contemporary novel that made me realize again just what a fantastic author Barnholdt is. She knows how to get readers' emotions going and create sizzling chemistry between two very complicated and heart-broken teens. After two amazing novels in a row, Barnholdt is a shoe-in for my list of favorite authors!

Courtney is a sensitive, kind-hearted girl who is still nursing a broken heart from Jordan's sudden break-up with her. I was a little shocked that she still planned to go on the road trip to college with Jordan, but in the end it did make sense. I could feel how much she still loved Jordan and how upset she was that they couldn't be together anymore. I wanted to smack Jordan over the head for causing Courtney such pain, but I knew there had to be more to the story. And boy was there a complicated and messed up story surrounding their break-up!

Even though I wanted to hate Jordan, it was so hard to when I got to read some of the book from his point of view. I could tell that he still loved Jordan and that whatever made him break things off between them was serious. Jordan may have acted like a playboy and a total jerk towards Courtney, but I could see that underneath he was a total sweetheart who would do anything he could to protect Courtney. I could feel his pain and I hurt for him just as much as Courtney.

Even though Two-Way Street has its tear-jerking moments, Barnholdt threw in some characters who made for some much needed comic relief. Jordan's friend B.J is crazy and hilarious! There are two memorable scenes in the book involving him that had me laughing out loud! All that I will tell you is that they involve Leprechauns and car tailing. Courtney's friend is equally funny and is involved in one of these scenes!

Two-Way Street is an honest and heartfelt novel that you need to pick up! I can guarantee that you will become a fan of Barnholdt's (and her characters)!

My Review:

11 comments:

  1. I love books with road trips so this one is definitely on my to-read list. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds pretty interesting. I like it when there's a funny side chatacter, they tend to relieve a lot of tension! Thanks for the review, Bailey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sound of this one - it's great there's a mixture of emotional moments and funny ones! I've never read anything by the author before, but I'm definitely adding this to my wishlist, it sounds great! Brilliant review, and glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the sound of this one Bailey! I haven't read anything by this author, but I always love when a book can make me both laugh and cry:) Definitely adding this to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really interested to see how Barnholdt made the jerky guy into a sympathetic character! I love when books give an interesting perspective. Two-Way Street sounds wonderful; thanks for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds SO good! I'll definitely have to try to get my hands on it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog more than any makes me really take notice of all the contemps I'm missing out on because I can't get outside of my little reading niche. I know I would enjoy them... I just need to take a break from my fantasies and my dystopians.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew I was on the right track wanting to read this one. Road trip, tear jerking, comic relief! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this one a long time ago so I don't remember the exact story but I do know that I liked both characters and the fact that you get to see both of their POVs. Glad to see that you liked this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has been on my WL for a WHILE! I need to just get it!!! I will wait. LOL. until after your giveaway! ;)
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, now you have me kicking myself because I've never read anything by Barnholdt before; but after your review, I'll probably start with this one. I like characters that surprise you, and it seems like Jordan is exactly that type of character.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin