Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Review: Misfit by Jon Skovron

August 1, 2011
Amulet Books

Synopsis:
Jael has always felt like a freak. She’s never kissed a boy, she never knew her mom, and her dad’s always been superstrict—but that’s probably because her mom was a demon, which makes Jael half demon and most definitely not a normal sophomore girl. On her sixteenth birthday, a mysterious present unlocks her family’s dangerous history and Jael’s untapped potential. What was merely an embarrassing secret before becomes a terrifying reality. Jael must learn to master her demon side in order to take on a vindictive Duke of Hell while also dealing with a twisted priest, best-friend drama, and a spacey blond skater boy who may have hidden depths.
Author Jon Skovron takes on the dark side of human nature with his signature funny, heartfelt prose.


My Review:
Honestly, I am still not quite sure what to make of Misfit. Jael was annoying and not at all relatable, yet the religious aspect of the story was engaging and made me want to continue reading. If you are all about characterization, you probably will not enjoy Misfit. However, if you find demons to be intriguing and like reading stories that deal with religion, this may be the book for you!

Where to begin with Jael? At first, I felt for her, what with having a father who is so strict and a mother that has been dead since she was a baby. But then she said and did things that made me unsympathetic of her. I also didn't like how Jael's story was told from third person present. It is awkward and hard to read from. Honestly, I came close to putting the book down for good quite a few times, but the story line saved Misfit.

I love how Misfit explores the past involving Jael's mother Astarte and her father Paul. I enjoyed reading of how they first met and what came after. Astarte's background is a little hard to believe considering who/what she really is, but I was able to get over it quickly and just go along with the story.

I absolutely adored Jael's uncle Dagon and her crush Rob. Dagon has some really funny moments that lighten up some of the darker parts of the story. He is quite the interesting demon! I can see why Jael can't help crushing on Rob. He is a total skater boy, yet he is a math and science geek. That is one crazy combination but it fits who he is!

While Misfit had its downsides, some of the characters and the plot made up for its weaknesses.


My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. Hmm. I do like relatable characters, but the supernatural aspect of Misfit does sound intriguing... I almost picked this up at Borders' closing sale last week! I'm on the fence as to whether I should read it or not. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Bailey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agh. Third person present isn't my favorite either. I think I may be skipping this one for now, Bailey. Your description of Jael is making me cringe already, though the skater boy sounds like a cutie. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin