Sunday, August 21, 2011

Review: Hooked by Catherine Greenman

August 9, 2011
Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Synopsis:
Thea Galehouse has always known how to take care of herself. With a flighty club-owner mom and a standoffish, recovering-alcoholic dad, Thea has made her own way in her hometown of New York, attending the prestigious and competitive Stuyvesant High School. But one chat with Will, a handsome and witty senior, and she's a goner—completely hooked on him and unable to concentrate on anything else.
Always worried that she loves Will more than he loves her, Thea is pleasantly surprised when their romance weathers his move to college and Will goes out of his way to involve her in his life. But then, Thea misses a period. And that starts Thea and Will on a wild ride that neither of them could have possibly prepared for. When they decide to keep the baby, their concerned parents chip in what they can to keep Will in school and give both teenagers a comfortable place to raise their child. But when a freak accident leaves Thea shaken and threatens to upend their little family altogether, Thea is forced to turn to the last place she would have chosen for comfort: her stiff, uncompromising father.
This smart, touching first novel brims with realistic, beautifully drawn characters, and reminds us that love is never as easy or predictable as we might like it to be.


My Review:
Going in to Hooked, I was weary but hopeful. Teen Pregnancy is such a taboo subject so I was interested in how Greenman would pull it off. I am sad to say that I was a bit disappointed in the outcome. The characters were one-dimensional and I wasn't able to really get into Hooked because of that. They weren't very likable, and I found myself cringing at their words and actions. If you are interested in books like this, try it. If you aren't but are a bit curious about it, be prepared to be let down.

Thea was a clingy, needy teen who should not have gotten involved in such a relationship with her boyfriend. I don't know what Will saw in Thea, or even Thea in Will. I wasn't at all involved in what Thea was going through because I didn't like who she was as a person and she wasn't real enough for me. Sure, I felt pity for her at times, but not enough to get how she got herself into the situations she did. One thing I will say is that I commend her for not getting an abortion. It was her fault for getting pregnant and not the baby's so I was happy when she decided against it.

Will was rude, mean, and an over all jerk who I would never fall for. He is such a tool and pulls Thea around. Everything she does revolves around him and I got so mad at him. Especially towards the end!! What he said and did to Thea infuriated me. If I wasn't so close to being done with the book I would have put it down then and there.

Though I didn't care for most of the story, it did have a few redeemable parts. Ian, Thea and Will's baby is a total sweetie pie. I just love babies and the way Greenman described him made me come to love him! I also liked Will's parents and Thea's dad. Even though Will's parents aren't around often, they made some scenes lighter and I was happy with how they handled certain situations. Thea's dad doesn't have the greatest personality, but I commend him for being there for Thea when she needed him most.

While Hooked isn't that great of a read, I did like that it didn't promote teen pregnancy. Readers will see from the story that it isn't at all glamorous like some TV shows (16 and Pregnant) make it out to be. It is tough and will change your life forever.

My Rating:

8 comments:

  1. Hm. I got frustrated at the characters just reading your review, I don't think I'll be picking this one up! Though I'm curious as to what Will says at the end that made you almost put it down:) I'm sure it would equally piss me off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm wary of pregnancy-themed books, too. It sounds like Hooked will be a book to skip; it's a bummer that the characters are story weren't all they could be. =/ Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe. I love babies too. I should get one. LOL

    Every preggers book I've read doesn't really keep me interested, even with all the cute babies. Plus, I don't like wasting time reading books that have boys I know I won't swoon over.

    Thanks for your honest review, B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this one on my wishlist because I wanted to see how the subject of teen pregnancy would be handled. Since I haven't seen any reviews for this one yet, it's good to know that it was handled realistically and not glamourized. I don't like the sound of either Will or Thea though and so I'll probably skip this one. If I can't connect with the characters, I usually end up not really enjoying the book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer that this book was a disappointment. Strange, I know, but I'm actually intrigued by teen pregnancy (and yeah, I watch *that* show) but like seeing the hardships that these kids go through. Hooked doesn't sound realistic in either its characters or the fact that the parents don't seem to have any issues in supporting the father of the baby--real life doesn't usually happen that way, and it sounds like Greenman missed an opportunity to show that.

    Thanks for the honest review!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang, too bad about the characters. Just reading about them now in your review, I feel like I would dislike them as much as you would!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, sorry to see that you didn't really like the book, I think when dealing with such a serious matter, if the characters don't pull it off and aren't brilliant, the whole book feels like a mess. Thanks for the honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer you didn't love. Since I went through this I tend to seek these books out.
    Lets see if I feel different than you ;)

    PS. 16 and Pregnant sucks, but I LOVE Teen Mom (is that weird...)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin