Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Review: Hades by Alexandra Adornetto

August 30, 2011
Feiwel & Friends

Synopsis:
Bethany and Xavier are even closer since battling Jake Thorn and his evil influence (in Halo) and Beth and her angel siblings must still protect Venus Cove from the Dark Forces.

When a party game – a séance – inadvertently releases Jake from the Underworld, he disguises himself and tricks Beth into taking a ride on his motorcycle. When the highway opens up and swallows them, Beth learns too late that she’s now a prisoner in hell. What happens to angels there? As her archangel brother, Gabriel, her sister Ivy, Xavier, and her best friend, Molly search for her, Beth must weigh Jake’s bargaining for her freedom: one night with him, and she will be released back to Earth.
Can Jake be trusted in this wager? And is he also using Beth to engineer the fall of the archangel Gabriel? Xavier has already lost one love – when Jake tricks him into thinking that Bethany is dead, his grief and anger result in a betrayal that will leave Bethany – and readers – wondering if he is so good after all.

It will be up to Beth to use everything she’s learned about her powers as an angel – and about love – to free herself and those she loves from the clutches of Hades.


My Review:
While I wasn't all that impressed by what Halo had to offer, I decided to give Hades another try. The synopsis made it sound much more action-packed and exciting so I was happy to give the series another chance. I have to say, I am very glad that I did because Hades delivered. The main characters were still painful to read about, but at least the action was there!

Bethany is back and just as annoying as ever, but her trip to Hell really shapes her into someone that I could be friends with. She actually gains a backbone and isn't afraid to let those around her know that she isn't happy. Of course, she is still pining for Xavier and that is the main reason why she wants to go home, but I give her props for standing up for herself.

I still cannot stand Xavier. He acts like he is big and strong and can save Bethany for anything. Well, he is sure in for it this time because he can't go to Hell and back to get Bethany, no matter how much he wants to. I hate how Xavier and Bethany have to spend every minute of their time together. That is not a healthy relationship, no matter what they say about it.

Thankfully, I only had to deal with my complaints about Xavier and Bethany for a few chapters in the beginning. When Bethany gets brought to Hell by Jake, the story starts getting good! So many plot twists were thrown in and I was cringing at how Adornetto described parts of Hell. We get to really know who Jake is and I was shocked at how bad he could really be. We also get introduced to some new characters who are likable and make the story much more interesting.


Even if you weren't crazy for Halo, I would still give Hades a chance. Sure, Bethany and Xavier will still drive you crazy, but you will have a much better time in this one.

My Rating:

19 comments:

  1. I am dying to get my hands on this book. I loved Halo's cover but I think I like this one more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CANNOT wait to get my hands on this book bailey !! You have so many AMAZING arc's you are reading lately!! :)
    Happy Reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! I really want this book. They had a chapter on the book website we could read, and I read it, and of course I can think of nothing else! I MUST READ THIS BOOK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard Halo was a bit of a challenge to get through based on the characters and it seems like certain ones were still equally challenging in this one, but I'm curious as to her depiction of hell:) Would I be completely lost if I started with this book instead of Halo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read the first one in this series, but I love the covers. Thanks for the great review, Bailey! I think I'll have to check them out..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bethany grows a backbone? HECK YES! Now I'm thinking I'll give Hades a try! Glad to hear it was better than Halo. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked Halo but not as much as I thought I would. But I'm still very interested in what Hades has to offer. I agree with you. It sounds more exciting and I'm glad that it delivered. I can't wait to read it! Been trying to get a review copy for a while now. Looks like I'll be grabbing it when it's out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had the first one since last year but I haven't read it because of so many mixed reviews. I'm just not sure it's for me. Also it's just so BIG! I'll hold onto it for now and maybe later, after the whole Angel thing isn't so big and I'm ready to go back to an angel book I can pick it up then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read these books yet, but I want too. Thanks for the review.

    Kristin @My Tuesday Teaser

    Kristin @ Better Read Than
    Dead

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, as much as I heard about Halo, how bad it was, you would have thought the author would have taken the criticism and fixed up the characters. I'm still not convinced. Not if the MCs are annoying.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this - I didn't like Halo either, and really thought Bethany was annoying, but it's great to hear she actually starts sticking up for herself! I agree about Xavier - just couldn't like him. Glad you preferred this one to Halo - thanks for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bailey,


    You have a fabulous blog! I’m an author and illustrator and I made some awards to give to fellow bloggers whose sites I enjoy. It’s not a pass on award. This is just for you to keep. I want to award you with the Best of Romance Blog Award for all the hard work you do!

    Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
    ~Deirdra

    ReplyDelete
  13. HALO drove me insane but I have HADES on my shelf so I guess I'll give it a shot, especially if you recommend it! Thanks for the review :)
    Mary @ BookSwarm

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard not great things about Halo so it's good this one is an improvement at least. But ugh! Those characters sound crazy annoying. I think I'll skip this series. Though I really love the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hmmm.. I had kind of written off Halo because of the reviews I'd read for it, but now you have me reconsidering. The descriptions of Hell sound interesting, and I'm happy to know you enjoyed it. Still, I really struggle with Angel themed stories. They just don't really work for me.

    Thanks for the review, B. I love staring at the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked Halo but didn't totally love it, but it's great to hear Hades is better! I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Better than Halo? Sweet. 'Cause I liked Halo. Great review doll!

    ReplyDelete
  18. BTW, the little fairies for rating is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bought Halo but still haven't read it because of all the mixed reviews I saw for it. I figured I was better off reading books where there's a really high probability that I'd love them. I'm a little curious about trying Halo now though since you said that Hades gets better. Thanks for the review, Bailey.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin