Friday, August 26, 2011

Review: Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris

July 12, 2011
Delacorte Press

Synopsis:
Someone's been a very bad zombie.

Kate Grable is horrified to find out that the football coach has given the team steroids. Worse yet, the steroids are having an unexpected effect, turning hot gridiron hunks into mindless flesh-eating zombies. No one is safe--not her cute crush Aaron, not her dorky brother, Jonah . . . not even Kate!

She's got to find an antidote--before her entire high school ends up eating each other. So Kate, her best girlfriend, Rocky, and Aaron stage a frantic battle to save their town. . . and stay hormonally human.


My Review:
Bad Taste in Boys is a light and quirky read that is guaranteed to make you giggle! Who would've thought that zombies could be so creepy yet hilarious?? I am not usually a fan of zombie novels, but this one was so cute that I couldn't help but enjoy myself! I am so glad I took a chance on this one!

Kate is just adorable. She is geeky, smart, and a bit of a klutz. I love that she didn't spend the entire book moaning about her inadequacies. She embraced her smarts and was determined to figure out what was causing people to turn into zombies. Honestly, she was a bit too smart to be believable, but it wasn't that big of a deal for me. I love her relationship with her brother Jonah. They are too funny together! Definitely one of my favorite brother and sister pair of YA.

The romance takes a back seat to the zombies, but I have to say, I really didn't mind that at all. I wanted to know how these people were turning into zombies! It was so creepy. I love Kate's reaction to the zombies. She gets so freaked out, but can't help laughing at how they act! And then there is her crush Aaron. She finally gets the opportunity to spend time with them, but the zombies keep distracting her. What a dilemma!!

Bad Taste in Boys was a hilarious and creative debut that I really enjoyed. My only problem is that it isn't that memorable of a book in the YA genre. If you are looking for something light to read though, definitely go for Bad Taste in Boys!

My Rating:

13 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a good time with this one! Though I've seen the cover, I never actually read what it was about. I think I'll give it a try, I need some funny! Awesome review, Bailey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one! I thought it was cute! & funny!
    Happy Reading & Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, all I've heard is how hilarious this book is. I guess I'll bump it up my list now. Thanks for the awesome review, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it when romance takes a back seat sometimes, too! Bad Taste in Boys sounds so good! I need to get my hands on it ASAP. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one definitely sounds cute and hilarious! I was immediately drawn to it because of the cover, but it does really sound great. Glad you enjoyed it, I'm definitely gonna read it at some point! Brilliant review :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad I read your review Bailey! I'm not a big fan of zombies either, but I do like a book that can make me laugh and has strong characters, so I think maybe I'll give this one a try:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a fun (and creepy) read. I have a copy of this book but haven't had a chance to read it. Now I'm moving it to the top of my pile. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This review makes me happy. I need a light read right now; something that will make me laugh, and I think this is it. The dynamic between kate and her brother sounds awesome.

    Thanks, B!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen a couple reviews for this one now and it seems like everyone has said that zombie books aren't their thing but they liked this one. I like that it's lighthearted and funny. I'll definitely have to make sure I check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this one in my TBR pile because even though I don't like zombie novels either, I knew I was going to like this one due to Carrie's great sense of humour. This seems like a perfect one to save for when midterms/exams come around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, that does it. I'm ordering it now. If you liked it, I know I'll like it and my students will like it, too.
    Mary @ BookSwarm

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, I really love the idea of zombies plus humour now that you've brought it up, though I wouldn't have expected to like it. Well, except the movie, Zombieland. That was good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds just like what I wanted it to be!!!
    I have this super awesome amazing best blogger friend that gave me it for my birthday ;) Can't wait to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin