Friday, August 5, 2011

Review: Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly

May 24, 2011
Candlewick Press

From Goodreads:
Willow knows she’s different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people’s dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where this power comes from. But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself. He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces, and that he’s one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil. In the first book in an action-packed, romantic trilogy, L..A. Weatherly sends readers on a thrill-ride of a road trip - and depicts the human race at the brink of a future as catastrophic as it is deceptively beautiful. They’re out for your soul . . . and they don’t have heaven in mind.

My Review:
Angel Burn is creepy and terrifying, yet oh so addictive! Seriously. These angels in the novel are not nice at all. They feed from people, and by doing this they give them angel burn which leads to a psychological disorder like schizophrenia. Thank goodness for Willow and Alex, who know what they are and are determined to stop them from taking over the world.

Willow has had to grow up very fast in Angel Burn. Her mother has been unable to really care for Willow since she was a toddler, so Willow hasn't had much of a childhood. When Willow find out that her mother has checked out because of Angel Burn, and that Willow is a half-angel herself, she is horrified. She doesn't want to be related to one of these evil creatures, no matter how pretty they seem to be. When the angels find out about who she is, they are shocked. Angels shouldn't be able to have offspring! And it doesn't help that they can tell that Willow has it out for them. This somehow leads to her and Alex finding each other, running for their lives, and discovering more about Willow's unusual genetics.

I was so happy that I got a chance to see what Alex was thinking in Angel Burn. Like Willow, he has had to grow up very fast, being an Angel Killer. He has been slaying angels since he was 11, with tons of training before that. Alex is a tortured guy who has a rocky past, but he as he and Willow fall in love, he begins to soften up. I couldn't believe how strong Alex had to be to be able to slay angels. It is so dangerous, and you have to wait for the right moment, so it is a terrifying job. I enjoyed seeing Alex and Willow's feeling grow stronger for each other as they learned more about one another. This isn't one of those instant love stories, thank god!!

L.A. Weatherly blew me out of the park with her storyline. Deadly angels who live only to drain humans and have no care for them?? This is a crazy concept, and she really took a risk by doing it. She made a fan out of me! Even though I am a Christian and I believe that angels are loving beings who truly care for us and watch over us, I did get involved in Weatherly's story. Do not go into this one expecting nice, loving angels because you are sure in for a shock!

The only problem I had with Angel Burn was that there were a few parts in the story that lagged. I know that not everything can be full of action, but it was just a little hard to keep me reading during these parts.

Angel Burn is a fascinating novel that had me hooked from page one. Even though there were a few slow parts in the novel, I still enjoyed my experience. Definitely give this one a shot if you haven't read it yet.

My Rating:

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing this one, I like an author who dares to take risks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad you enjoyed this one too Bailey, I absolutely loved how different it was. Loved the whole new angel mythology and once I got used to the switch between first person Willow and third person Alex I really enjoyed getting read about both of them. Can't wait for the next book:) Outstanding review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tie-in of angels to psychological disorders! Trippy. :) Angel Burn has been sitting on my shelf for a while, and your review is making my really want to pick it up right now! :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoyed Angel Burn - a different twist on angels.

    Hey- you commented about my love of Half-Blood and how much you love Aiden. I have three character interviews coming up in October for Half-Blood and one of them is Aiden. Currently, it's set to post 10-10. Thought you might want to know. =)

    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard things about this one, but I've never actually thought of reading it. Your review has me intrigued more than ever - thanks, Bailey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yeah! I really liked this one, too. Poor Willow, with her incapacitated mom and witchy aunt. And I really liked this Angel-y twist plus the cult-like aspect of the "church". A very cool concept. Great review!
    Mary @ BookSwarm

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was one of those books I figured I wouldn't read. I just thought it might be 'just another angel book'. But I've read several good reviews now and am actually quite intrigued! I think I'll have to give it a try one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I much prefer it when the supernatural characters are scary so this looks great! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been meaning to read this one! So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this one!! I loved the romance between Willow and Alex, it was adorable and so sweet. And the Angels were an awesome concept!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like you, I'm very much intrigued by the concept, as crazy as it is! Just can't help but like an idea that's so original!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this one in my TBR pile, and I'm really looking forward to reading it now. Weatherly's version of angels sounds very different but fascinating! Can't wait to see how everything plays out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. DEFINITELY adding this one to my TBR pile. I love Weatherly's different take on angels--I really like that she was willing to go dark with such a known character/creature type. Angel Burn sounds really unique, and I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the rec!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin