Monday, May 23, 2011

Review: Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti

May 4, 2010
Viking Juvenile

From Goodreads:
Lani and Erin are lifelong best friends — and total opposites. Lani’s a down-to-earth Taurus; Erin’s a fiery Leo. Lani likes to do her own thing; Erin prefers an entourage. They’ve always had wildly different tastes, from pizza toppings to guys.
That is, until Erin starts dating Jason.
From the minute Lani meets Jason, she can’t deny the amazing connection she feels with him. It’s like they’ve known each other their whole lives. She’s not sure if he feels it, too — but even if he does, he’s off-limits. Lani’s determined to ignore her feelings for Jason, no matter how powerful they are, rather than hurt her best friend.
Then Erin goes away for the summer — and Jason seems to appear everywhere Lani turns. How long can she keep running from the guy who just might be the love of her life?


My Review:
This is one of those reviews that took me forever to write. I honestly had no idea how I felt at first about the story. I was upset throughout the entire book at the cast of characters and was upset at the story line yet I still didn't know what to say. I feel like so many people love Susane Colasanti that I should too but this just wasn't the book for me. The main character, Lani, just lets her "friend" Erin walk all over her and that was just not okay with me. Erin was definitely not a "friend" to Lani and I wish Lani would have seen that.

The synopsis of the book had me very intrigued so when I first got into Something Like Fate, I felt like I has been mislead. It is supposed to be about Lani falling in love with Jason, her best friend Erin's boyfriend over the summer. Instead, it starts out a few months before summer and Jason and Lani have fallen for each other even before summer starts. It is during the summer that they start to explore the forbidden relationship. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it does. I expect the synopsis to give me a taste of what the story will be like but this one seemed way off.

Another thing that bothered me was that Lani and Jason seemed to fall for each other way too fast. Especially considering the fact that Jason is Erin's boyfriend. I was so upset at Jason for leading Erin on when he knew he had feelings for Lani. His excuses were lame and he had the nerve to do some pretty gutsy things involving his relationship with Erin. I didn't like the way he handled many things in the book and I felt that both Lani and Erin could have done better. I didn't even really like Erin yet I had more sympathy for her than Jason.

Erin is the typical ditsy best friend who cares all about herself and whom Lani sacrifices everything for. I mean, I know that she is in love with Erin's boyfriend, but instead of mopping around and hanging out with Jason way too much yet still refusing to believe she was doing anything bad, she should have talked to Erin about her conflicting feelings. And hey, maybe Erin wouldn't have been okay with that but a true friend would understand. I didn't see the bond of friendship between Lani and Erin and that made me even more upset at Lani for still sticking with Erin.

I know I had a lot of complaints about the story but I did like the writing. It was written in a way that I loved and made it easier to get through the book. I just really wish the book would have had better characters. Characters are very important to me and if I don't like the characters, then the book is kind of a lost cause. While I didn't enjoy Something Like Fate, I am one of the few so don't let my review stop you from trying the book!

My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. For some reason, this plot sounds like the one from Something Borrowed, which I didn't like. Well, it's too bad, but there'll be other books, right?
    xo, Maria

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin