Monday, May 30, 2011

Review: Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

April 27, 2010
Walker & Company

From Goodreads:
When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.

My Review:
When I first started Rules of Attraction, I wasn't sure how Simone Elkeles was going to be able to pull off another story full of gangs, drugs, Fuentes family problems, and a special girl who knocks the socks off of a Fuentes brother (all these things make the story oh, so controversial and soooo good). And boy did Elkeles show me how she could switch up the dynamics just a little and be able to satisfy the reader. I adore the Perfect Chemistry series. Elkeles doesn't shy away from any shocking matters-- she dives right into them.  If you haven't tried this series yet, you are missing out!!

Going into the story, I was thinking that Kiara would be just like Brittany: perfect, pretty, popular, snarky, yet hiding her true emotions inside of her. Kiara sure had a lot of snark to her but she was none of the other things. She wears baggy clothes to hide her girly figure and she is far from popular. She stutters and tries very hard to control her speech impediment. I think I liked her much better than Brittany just because she doesn't feel like she has to put on a fake persona to face the world and is comfortable with being who she is. When Carlos comes into the picture, Kiara is sure thrown for a loop! While she doesn't try to change herself for him, she finds her self going close to a selfish (not really) and arrogant (x1000) former member of a gang.


Carlos is spicy and dangerous, yet easy to fall for. He puts up a wall around his heart and doesn't want to let anyone get close to him for fear that he might lose them. To those around him, he appears self-assured and cocky. Inside, he is a real sweetheart and he will die for those that he cares about. When he meets Kiara, his walls that he built start to crumble. Kiara infuriates him and isn't really pretty, yet he can't help but feel something for her. I really loved watching Carlos grow closer to Kiara. He is very tough but Kiara knows how to get to him. I also enjoyed seeing Alex and Carlos grow closer again. Carlos is upset at Alex for leaving them for Brittany and it isn't easy for him to forgive him.

Rules of Attraction was a fast read that had me hooked until the very end. There are so many emotions that I experienced while reading. Make sure to have a box of tissues close by when you read this one! Rules of Attraction is just as good as Perfect Chemistry! I cannot wait until Luis' story. It is sure to be just as amazing as the previous two.

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I loved Perfect Chemistry! I haven't gotten a chance to get Rules of Attraction yet, but I'll definitely have to soon :)

    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored Perfect Chemistry - but I haven't read her other books yet for fear or not liking them as much! I'm glad you loved this book - Brittany sounds like someone I'd like to know better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously need to read Perfect Chemistry. I love how spicy it sounds! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffant and The Epic Rat- You guys really need to read Rules of Attraction. It is awesome!!

    Lauren--It is soooo spicy. You really need to read it!! You will be hooked!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin