Thursday, May 12, 2011

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

May 3, 2011
HarperTeen

From Goodreads:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.


My Review:
Divergent took my breath away! It is absolutely riveting and left me thinking about the characters long after I finished the final page. This is one of those reads where after you finish, you will find yourself going back over your favorite parts! I really wanted to savor every little piece of the story, but it was so hard! Divergent is action packed and never once slows down. I went through pure torture when I had to put Divergent down for an entire day to study for an exam. You are definitely going to want to read this novel when you have plenty of time on your hands!

In the future presented in this novel, there are 5 factions, each with their own "specialties". Those who value honesty belong to Candor. The peaceful and kind fit in with Amity. Dauntless values the brave and courageous. The Erudite are intelligent and sharp. And finally, there is the Abnegation, the selfless, in which Tris was raised. On Tris' 16th birthday at the choosing ceremony, she is faced with the tough decision of following her parents shoes and choosing Abnegation or choosing another faction and disappointing her parents. Tris struggles with her decision and when she is forced to choose at the ceremony, she follows her heart.

Anything else I say about Tris or the novel would ruin it for those who haven't had the chance to read Divergent. Just know that this is one of the best dystopian novels that I have ever read. This ranks right up there next to The Hunger Games for me. Tris is someone that I can really admire and someone who I would aspire to be. I loved reading through her perspective and wouldn't have dreamed of it being told any other way. Tris is brutally honest throughout her journey to becoming a member of the faction she decides on. I cringed many times during the trials she faced. She is unbelievably strong willed and doesn't back down on anything.

Divergent is sooooo good that I want to shout at the top of my lungs to the whole world about its awesomeness! It is dystopian at its finest! Divergent is wonderfully written and I can't brag enough about it! There aren't enough words to describe the beauty of the novel. I will be waiting on pins and needles for the next novel in this series. Do not miss out on this fantastic debut!!

My Rating:



10 comments:

  1. Everyone is raving about this one! I can't wait to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Divergent is amazing, isn't it!? I loved it, too! I can't wait for the sequel! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I feel in love with this novel. It's been over a week and I still can't get it out of my head. It's definitely the sign of a great novel. It's one of those books that while I was reading it, I would look up at other people and feel sad for them that they weren't reading it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book also. Testing comments though!! XO - PJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this book. I love the new layout btw, very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite books! Stopping by to check out the new look! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's one of my fav books so far this year. Enjoyed your review.

    My keeper shelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard a lot of good this about this book!(:
    I think that the way Chicago is divide, by virtues, is really interesting(:
    good review, keep it up!:D
    lisa

    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new design. Parajunkee did a very nice job. I've heard very good things about Divergent. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't love it but I liked it a lot. I agree with a lot of things you said!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin