Friday, March 18, 2011

Review: The Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker


The Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker
March 1, 2011
Sourcebooks Fire

From Goodreads:
Kate Lowry didn't think dead best friends could send e-mails. But when she gets an e-mail from Grace, she’s not so sure.

To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
Sent: Sun 9/14 11:59 PM
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)

Kate,
I'm here…
sort of.
Find Cameron.
He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell.
They'll hurt you.

Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. But secrets haunt the halls of her elite private school. Secrets people will do anything to protect. Even if it means getting rid of the girl trying to solve a murder...


My Review:

The Liar Society was a fun, fast, and enjoyable read that I devoured! The mystery had me deeply involved in the story and I was along with Kate in the scary ride to find out what really happened to her friend Grace. I have heard that others figured out the mystery fairly quickly but it took me awhile to catch on. The Liar Society is an easy read that I had no trouble finishing.

Kate was a really fun and snarky character. I could feel her pain at having lost her friend in such a horrible way. She was bound and determined to find out what really happened the night of Grace's death and nothing could get in her way. Kate is a very good sleuth, and never once backs down from solving her friends murder. What she discovers along the way opens her eyes to many secrets and causes her to question everything.

I really connected with Kate and her hatred of "Dr. Prozac". Her parents are forcing her to go so she can open up about her grief with Grace. I have some anxiety problems so I am having to go see a psychologist and I feel exactly the way Kate felt. The conversations that she has sound exactly like the ones that I have with my own Dr. Prozac and gave me a good laugh!

Liam was a bit of an enigma throughout the story. I knew there was something going on with him but I could never quiete figure it out. One minute he is acting all cool and collected, the next he is nervous, blushing, and checking all around him. He has his own fair share of secrets. The romance between him and Kate was really sweet and didn't take over the whole story. It is just enough to whet your appetite. I think that if there would have been more romance between them in the story, it would have felt fake and unnecessary. Kate is trying to find out what happened to her friend, not focus on getting a boyfriend.

I really loved that the reader got to see how the night of Grace's death played out. In certain chapters, we are taken back in time to the night Grace died and we get to see what went on. I also liked that we got to know Grace in the past before her death. I could understand her a little better and what made her Kate's friend.

The only problem I had with the novel was that sometimes it felt like things happened too fast and weren't realistic enough. One minute Kate is reading the clue, the next she is having this sudden realization that she has to be somewhere. That is really my only complaint and I did enjoy The Liar Society otherwise. Definitely pick this one up on your next trip to the library or bookstore!

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad Kate was fun and relatable! I love characters who can get their snark on. :) The Liar Society is definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your opinion on "Dr. Prozac." I went to a counselor once when I was in high school, and Kate's commentary on her sessions was EXACTLY what was going through my mind when I went! Lol.

    Stopped by from the Saturday Situation

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin