Friday, February 11, 2011

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver


February 1, 2011

From Goodreads:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


My Review:

To sum up Delirium in one word: Breathtaking. An absolutely fantastic dystopian story that may go on to be as good as the Hunger Games, in my opinion. While there isn't too much action in the begininning, Oliver takes time to build up the story and develop the atmosphere of the world that Lena lives in. Delirium is a wonderful and convincing love story that stole my heart.

Lena starts off as a meek, easily controlled girl but once she meets Alex, she starts to become who she was meant to be. While at first she thinks that the operation to destroy the "deadly disease" of love is necessary, she soon begins to think otherwise. Her first encounter with Alex steals the breath right out of her and she realizes that Alex could mean trouble for her. The more she and Alex see each other, the more daring she becomes. Soon she doesn't even care that she is showing all the symptoms of deliria; all that matters now is that she and Alex be together. Through all of the thrilling experiences that Lena goes on, she is changed into a strong woman who is madly in love and will do anything to keep that love forever.

Alex is a flirtatious and fun guy who takes Lena out of her comfort zone. He helps Lena to see the disturbing truth about the society they live in and brings out the best in Lena. The chemistry between him and Lena gave me butterflies and made me want an Alex, too. There are just so many wonderful guys in YA novels that I wish were real! Alex is a sweetheart towards Lena and he has so many wonderful qualities to him. His teasing remarks to Lena were too cute! I also liked that Alex had a mysterious side to him, too, and that there is more to him than meets the eye.

I loved each and every page of Delirium and I feel sad that I have finished it. Delirium, like most dystopian novels, has a huge cliff-hanger and I will go crazy waiting for the next installment in this series. Delirium is a must-read for dystopian newbies and oldies!

My Rating:

5 Stars

4 comments:

  1. Great Review! I've been dying to read this book!
    Happy Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I really enjoyed this book too! I felt the same way about Alex and Lena

    -Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I have this one on my TBR shelf, and not sure why I haven't read it yet. The whole premise is fascinating!

    Found you thru The Saturday Situation linky. :)

    Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for review! I liked watching Lena change and grow and like you I'm very eager to get my hands on the next!
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and make sure to read everyone of them. I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin